Boys

12:18 PM Edit This 5 Comments »
So I get that boys and girls are different - I do. I am a little sister, my brother just above me would want to wrestle all of the time when we were little, but being the little sister I am I would curl up in a little ball and scream for mommy.
I never learned how to "take it" without an emotional response - even in play.
Now that I have a son, I am going nuts! I thought it was just that my brother and I didn't get along. But - I am wondering... Is it just in boy's nature to want to hit? Merrill starting hitting a few months before Nora was born and hasn't stopped. It mostly comes out when he is super tired or mad it just seems to be his natural reaction to negative emotion. He is so sweet 98% of the time and I feel truly blessed for my wonderful little boy, I just don't get it. Why does he hit me? Why do I want to cry every time he does?
I have tried to let him get it out on the Wii (maybe that started all of this - I don't know) He wrestles with Mark and they have fun - but they are both boys and don't seem phased by the fact that they are hitting each other.
AM I MISSING SOMETHING????

5 comments:

Zachary said...

As a boy, I feel I am an expert in this area. Yes...this is natural for a boy to do. It is the instinctual reaction to pretty much anything that we don't enjoy. Eventually we all learn to control it though...especially when we learn that some things hit back.

Now I am not a parent, so take this or leave it...but as a guy, I would say hit him back when he hits you. Not hard of course. But let him know that for every cause, there is a reaction.

I know the world frowns on any physical reaction for punishment...but that's what worked for most everyone I know growing up. We stopped hitting people who hit back.

A non-abusal reaction would be to catch his hand mid-swing and let him know...That ain't cool.

But I am sure you have tried that.

Good luck...most boys just need to grow out of it and learn that violence isn't the best reaction.

Mark Nott said...

It's not that bad, you could have had my cousin as an older brother
http://kikibebot.blogspot.com/2010/05/ghost-rider-word.html

Chrissy said...

It's a kid thing. I get it from Adia when she is upset with me. I don't hit her, so why does she do it to me in the face?

whitney said...

I agree w/Chrissy, it's definitely a kid thing, boy or girl (although, obviously, you'll have gentler kids regardless of the gender). We have a fairly strict time-out policy for hitting. For ez, there's not even a warning anymore.

Esther said...

i'm with chrissy and whitney, maddie likes to hit sometimes too (right now she is in the 'screaming as loud as she can' phase) she started when ty came along. she gets time out for hitting, and i tell her over and over that it is not nice to hit. good luck!