Medical Issues

10:51 AM Edit This 8 Comments »
Our Little Angel
When Nora was about 8 days old I noticed a small lump on the side of her neck. The next day it was about double the size and bright red. I kinda got worried and took her in to the pediatrician. Long story short, after a week of antibiotics and various doctors with no progress on this mysterious lump, under our pediatrician's council we headed to the ER of Primary Children's Medical Center fully expecting a surgical procedure on our 2 week old baby girl.
We are so blessed! After about 3 1/2 hours in the ER with about 4 doctors counseling with us and an ultra sound on Nora's neck it was determined that she has a hemangioma which is just a cluster of blood vessels that will continue to grow on her neck for about a year and then go away on it's own. It will look gross for a while and could possibly get huge, but it does not cause her any discomfort and has no real risk to her health! WHAT A BLESSING! I am so grateful for the modern technology that has helped with this and for such a great support team of family and friends around us!

8 comments:

Monica Lifferth said...

I think Jamie's daughter had one on her head. Ask her about the details. Glad she is okay! Medical issues in our children is kinda scary.

Chelsey said...

Oh I'm so glad you found out what it was and that there isn't any real worry! It's always scary when something comes up with your new precious baby! If you need anything let me know!

Heather said...

I'm so glad it turned out to be nothing! Yeah! Thanks for the heads up! I promise I'll come when I get back (assuming there is no sickness!) ;)

Smiley Family said...

Ashlyn did have a cherry hemangioma on her forehead. It started out as just a speck and slowly got bigger. I also took her into the pediatrician but they said the same thing - nothing they could really do about it, it would either go away on it's own or it would have to be removed at a later date. When it got to be about half the size of a pencil eraser, Ashlyn decided that she'd had enough of it and picked it completely off! It bled pretty good for a couple minutes and then it stopped and it was gone forever!

Unknown said...

Thank heavens!!

Kendall and Melissa said...

That's what Mercedes had on her eye that caused her to need the glasses. Her's just happened to be internal so it put pressure on her eye. I'm glad it won't have any real effect on her physically. If it does though they have treatments to get rid of them that are fairly quick and only require one night in the hospital just for monitoring. So hard to be a mom, isn't it?

whitney said...

What a huge relief and blessing! I actually had one myself when I was pregnant with Georgia. When I did get it removed, it wasn't all that big of deal.

Nathan and Esther said...

how scary! I'm glad everything turned out alright! she is such a cutie!